Monday, February 25, 2008

The Deep Questions in Life...

What Be Your Nerd Type?
Your Result: Literature Nerd

Does sitting by a nice cozy fire, with a cup of hot tea/chocolate, and a book you can read for hours even when your eyes grow red and dry and you look sort of scary sitting there with your insomniac appearance? Then you fit this category perfectly! You love the power of the written word and it's eloquence; and you may like to read/write poetry or novels. You contribute to the smart people of today's society, however you can probably be overly-critical of works.

It's okay. I understand.

Drama Nerd

Musician

Social Nerd

Anime Nerd

Artistic Nerd

Gamer/Computer Nerd

Science/Math Nerd

What Be Your Nerd Type?
Quizzes for MySpace


Woah... Totally didn't see that result coming. And the secretary says: sarcasm duly noted. This quiz was surprisingly enjoyable. I discovered it whilst trolling for book-blogs. There are quite a few questions, but I suppose that is merely to allow for a more "accurate" result.

But it got me thinking. Do you think this quiz, or any other that categorizes, is manipulative and promoting stereotypes? Just pondering as I really can't make up my mind. Comment away. What is your opinion?

10 comments:

Reese said...

Promoting stereotypes. Totally.

Sometimes... you couldn't choose what you really think. And it doesn't take into account what you really care about.

I already know what I'm doing with my life. Books...and writing...and publishing...and editing. (Once I learn to spell.) I'm a totally literature nerd. My life has been dedicated to this. (And gay Italians...but thats another story.)

So I believe it to be totally unreliable.

Thank you and goodnight.

Ink Mage said...

According to that quiz, I'm a literature nerd, too. I am the least of an anime nerd. Anime, eew. *shudders* But I already knew that. :-)

Anonymous said...

I dunno. I think that what you are describing as "stereotypes" are actually real specializations within nerdiness, as opposed to promoting premade ideas. At least, I know a lot of people who could be classified into a category from the quiz.

That's not to say that all quizzes are right in that way. Just this one in particular seems especially accurate in its breakdown.

Reese said...

I must disagree B. Part of who you are is who you consider yourself to be. I am NOT a social nerd...but according to this quiz...

I'm a literature nerd. All the way.

Anonymous said...

It might not be accurate in its assignment, but I feel the categories it consists of are well-designed, which is why I said it wasn't promoting stereotypes.

Anonymous said...

Stereotype promoting = totally

But it's sooooo much fun to do!

And I agree with Reese on my future, minus the gay italian's part... =]

Reese said...

The gay italian is just something I have to do.

Make him my best friend. And he should have that uber smexy floppy brown hair.

And totally gay.

Anonymous said...

hmm...Literature nerd, closely followed by Musical. least of all drama.

i don't think they really promote stereotypes unless you like, believe enough to care about the outcome.
see, that's my theory---popularity is like Tinkerbell. the whole system only works if everybody focuses and claps thier hands and believes.
if you don't give a crap, it rarely affects you.

so if you like, say, "i'm boing to decide my worth as a person on this internet quiz" (something very, very odd to do) maybe it'll promote stereotypes.
but honestly, i think it doesn't really "promote" anything. they're arbitray questions, and you can put any anserw you want--not like it's lie-detector proof or something.
so i, personally, say no.

Anonymous said...

Artistic nerd (woah there's a shocker)

Least of all music and anime nerd. Again big surprise...

Anonymous said...

These quizzes do promote stereotypes, but at the same time, they are merely to entertain and not give one an identity crisis.
Although nowadays, these kids get carried away with what they read on the internet....