Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Meme-ing Me!

Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews? Honestly?
Harry Potter, actually. I should probably pack up and leave town to avoid pitchfork-wielding fans at this point. It’s not that I dislike the books so very much, but I don’t think they come up to the bar people project them to be even with.

If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be?
*Ponder* For a night of clubbing (something I’ve never done) I would have to raise Loor from the Pendragon series, Alianne from the Trickster’s Choice/Trickster’s Queen set, and Jacky from the Bloody Jack series. That would be very...exciting.

(Borrowing shamelessly from the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde): you are told you can’t die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for a while, eventually you realize it’s past time to die. Which book would you expect to get you a nice grave?

Without a doubt, A String in the Harp by Nancy Bond. Every time I try to read it it’s like an out of body experience. My entire brain goes into an impermeable lockdown as to maintain any semblance of mental activity.

Come on, we’ve all been there. Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you’ve read, when in fact you’ve been nowhere near it?
Actually. I’m not sure I have been there. The answer is It by Stephen King. I can’t even look at it. Clowns have been my worst fear for years. Some kid asked me if I was scared of them and I became defensive, saying stupidly, “Pshaw, no. I’ve read It.” Settled his fears, but the karma just might kill me.

As an addition to the last question, has there been a book that you really thought you had read, only to realise when you read a review about it/go to ‘reread’ it that you haven’t? Which book?
No. I almost always remember what I read.

You’re interviewing for the post of Official Book Advisor to some VIP (who’s not a big reader). What’s the first book you’d recommend and why? (If you feel like you’d have to know the person, go ahead and personalise the VIP.)
Oh dear. It really depends. Lets say the VIP is female. I would suggest something intense like Cut by Patricia McKormick or Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. Most people like those and they’re short and moving. I’m reading Catalyst right now actually.

A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with?
Japanese. Have the animes I love are in Japanese with English subtitles, but their mangas don’t come in English at all.

A mischievious fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick?
Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. I do that anyway.

I know that the book blogging community, and its various challenges, have pushed my reading borders. What’s one bookish thing you ‘discovered’ from book blogging (maybe a new genre, or author, or new appreciation for cover art—anything)?
Definitely a new appreciation for cover art. This has actually been instilled in me by my co-blogger Medeia Senka. Her artist’s eye could kill you in a rage.


That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she’s granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leatherbound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favourite authors have inscribed their works? Go ahead—let your imagination run free.
Oh. My. Tempests. My dream library would be behind a wall in a castle on the sea. Of course I would live in this great stone work of art. But you wouldn’t know the library existed. It would be secreted behind two-inch thick walls and reached only by daring to walk the ledge so far above sheer cliffs and pull a gargoyles right ear. This would then open a passageway. You would traverse this with a dimly flickering torch and then you’d enter through the door, ouroboros marked. Inside you would have to touch the torch to a wall ravine and then the flames would encircle the library to a never-ending ceiling, reached only by the ladders that slid along great walls. Books of all kinds would grace the walls. Everything from sea-logs, or an original scripted work of the Brothers Grimm, to Alex Rider novels or mangas. Perfect hardcover without the dreadful ‘80s first print artwork and a plethora of things I have yet to read. My secret fantasy. It gives me warm fuzzy feelings and the musty scent of old books in my nose just to think it.



I was memed by Ink Mage at http://www.inkmagic.blogspot.com. What fun! It was very nice to know someone wanted to hear my answers *hugs self* I have memed Twyla Lee Nyx, Medeia Senka (must I really link that for you), Bibliovore, and the mahvelous macabre of Sera Zane.

Cheerz and Feeling Loved,
*Aella Siofra*



5 comments:

Medeia said...

Thanks for the Meme, Aella.... and great library...do I get to visit sometime?

Anonymous said...

i am of the opinion that if you didn't start Harry Potter when it was still relatively low-hype, you probably wouldn't like it. i was reading them before the movies came out, and even i sort of just ignored them for a while.

ooh, i'm macabre! hmmm...my friends say that too. that and morbid.
do i sense a personality trait?
nah.

Medeia said...

I liked 1-4 of the Harry Potters, movies 1 and 2 weren't bad, but after they screwed up the werewolf in the 3rd, I couldn't watch them anymore.

Anonymous said...

eh, none of the movies were really that great. the 4th and 5th were substantially better than the 3rd though. they had like, plot. but also kept the better visuals.

yes. crimes against werewolves are unforgivable.

Reese said...

What is meme?