Sunday, May 4, 2008

Memified!

So here goes. Yet another meme. This time I have been tagged by the delightful and made-of-awesome Heather of Plenty of Paper Reviews! On to the rules, which have been copy and pasted directly from the POP blog.

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag 5 people and comment the person who tagged you once you've posted your 3 sentences.

Excellent. Well I have but one book near me (a opposed to Medeia ). Okay, on to the meme.. If I Should Die Before I Wake by Han Nolan says...

" I saw each day pass much the same as the last: hunger, death, new rules, new jokes, less food, and hot summer nights spent outside in the yard, gathered around the well, talking until dawn. Nothing surprised me anymore, nothing scared me , except deportation orders. Where were they sending those people they rounded up by the hundreds, even thousands, and shipped off to trains? Everyone had their guess, their story to tell, but no one knew for sure..."

That is incredibly sad. Holocaust books are so difficult to read sometimes. Agreed?

I tag... no one. But if you see this meme and would like to do it than do so and comment in the place set aside.

Subdued,

3 comments:

Heather said...

They are sad. But I have to say that you have the best three of everyone. Really.

Avery Trelaine said...

I think every single book I've read about the Holocaust has been excellent, though...

...The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak (undoubtedly one of the best books I've EVER read...Not specifically about the Holocaust, but definitely relevant.)
...Briar Rose by Jane Yolen
...Night by Elie Wiesel

Just to name a few.

All heartbreaking, certainly...but really very good books.

Avery Trelaine

Abby O. said...

I tagged you too.